The National Association of Specialty Pharmacy (NASP) is pleased to announce scholarships created in memory of our beloved friend and colleague, Ron Bookman, will once again be awarded this year. Ron was well known and respected for his generosity, friendship, and dedication to his loved ones and the industry.
Three recipients will be selected and awarded non-renewable scholarships in the amount of $2,500. Applicants from all fields of study are eligible to apply. The scholarships will be awarded to students who display qualities and values similar to Ron’s – academic achievement, a commitment to serving others, a strong work ethic and leadership qualities. Recipients will be announced on September 16th at the NASP 2020 Annual Meeting & Expo Virtual Experience, held from September 14-18, 2020.
Additional details on the scholarships and submission instructions are below.
- Three recipients will be selected and awarded non-renewable scholarships in the amount of $2,500. Scholarship finds may be used for tuition, fees, and/or books.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must be:
- Enrolled in a U.S. accredited college/university and attending full-time
- A U.S. citizen
- In years three through six, if pursuing a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree
- Applicants should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants from all fields of study are eligible to apply
Ron Bookman Values and Qualities
The NASP Ron Bookman Memorial scholarship honors the memory and contributions of a great industry leader and influencer with unique qualities and values. Ron was powerful mentor and he was committed to helping others find success and gratification in their life and careers. Some of his “teachings” are below. Strong applicants will possess these qualities.
- Demonstrate a desire to make a meaningful contribution to society both present and future.
- Be involved in a balance of community, school, and work activities.
- Demonstrate industry involvement.
- Pursue goals and aspirations with integrity, resolution, self-discipline and judgment.
- Demonstrate leadership characteristics and/or assumed leadership positions that elevate the industry and desired profession.
- Demonstrate honest. Be straightforward and trustworthy in all of your interactions, relationships, and thoughts.
- Be responsible and accept accountability for your behavior and choices.
- Offer respect as a sign of your value and your ability to accept the inherent flaws we all possess.
- Possess humility and gratitude. Don’t see yourself as “too good” for other people or situations. Express gratitude for all that you have, as opposed to expecting or believing you deserve more.
- Strive to make decisions and take actions that are fair and will result in the best possible outcome for all involved.
- Be authentic and self-aware. Be your real and true self without pretension.
- Be kind, considerate, conscientious, and helpful.
- Follow your dreams. Never let others get in your way. Always be brilliant.
Scholarship Nomination Submissions
- NASP members in good standing may submit student nominations
- Deadline for 2020 Nominations: July 15, 2020
- Nomination requirements:
- Completed application
- A letter of nomination from a NASP member in good standing, signed and submitted by the NASP member
- An essay written by the student
- A letter of recommendation from a non-relative, signed and submitted by the non-relative
- Submission of transcript / verification of GPA
- Recipients will be notified by August 17, 2020.
The NASP Ron Bookman Scholarship Program is administered by a Scholarship Committee comprised of NASP members and staff. The committee provides fiduciary oversight, establishes the scholarship criteria, reviews nominations, and selects scholarship recipients.
To begin the application process, please click here.