The National Association of Specialty Pharmacy (NASP) is pleased to announce a scholarship program created in memory of our friend and colleague, Ron Bookman. Ron was well known and respected for his generosity, friendship, and dedication to his loved ones and the industry.
Two recipients will be selected each year and awarded non-renewable scholarships in the amount of $2,500. The scholarship will be awarded to students who display qualities and values similar to Ron’s — academic achievement, a commitment to serving others, a strong work ethic and leadership qualities. The recipients will be announced at the NASP Annual Meeting & Expo.
Additional details on the scholarships and submission instructions are below.
- Two recipients will be selected each year and awarded non-renewable scholarships in the amount of $2,500
- Award One: pharmacy student in years three through six
- Award Two: college student/graduate student in any field of study
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must be:
- Enrolled in a U.S. accredited college/university and attending full-time
- A U.S. citizen
- For Award One: Pursuing a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree; scholarship awarded for students in years three through six
- Applicants should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
Ron Bookman Values and Qualities
The NASP Ron Bookman Memorial scholarship honors the memory and contributions of a great industry leader and influencer with unique qualities and values. Ron was powerful mentor and he was committed to helping others find success and gratification in their life and careers. Some of his “teachings” are below. Strong applicants will possess these qualities.
- Demonstrate a desire to make a meaningful contribution to society both present and future.
- Be involved in a balance of community, school, and work activities.
- Demonstrate industry involvement.
- Pursue goals and aspirations with integrity, resolution, self-discipline and judgment.
- Demonstrate leadership characteristics and/or assumed leadership positions that elevate the industry and desired profession.
- Be honest, straightforward, and trustworthy in all of your interactions, relationships, and thoughts.
- Be responsible and accept accountability for your behavior and choices.
- Offer respect as a sign of your value and your ability to accept the inherent flaws we all possess.
- Possess humility and gratitude. Don’t see yourself as “too good” for other people or situations. Express gratitude for all that you have as opposed to expecting or believing you deserve more.
- Strive to make decisions and take actions that are fair and will result in the best possible outcome for all involved.
- Be authentic and self-aware. Be your real and true self without pretension.
- Be kind, considerate, conscientious, and helpful.
- Follow your dreams. Never let others get in your way. Always be brilliant.
Scholarship Nomination Submissions
- NASP members in good standing may submit student nominations
- Deadline for 2019 Nominations: July 15,2019
- Nomination requirements:
- Completed application
- A letter of nomination from a NASP member in good standing
- An essay written by the student
- A letter of recommendation from a non-relative
- Submission of transcript / verification of GPA
- Nominations and documentation may be submitted at email@example.com.
The NASP Ron Bookman Scholarship Program is administered by a Scholarship Committee comprised of NASP members and staff. The committee provides fiduciary oversight, establishes the scholarship criteria, reviews nominations, and selects scholarship recipients.